- United States
- Full Name
- Ryan Joseph Newman
- South Bend, IN
- Date of Birth
- First Year
The pioneer of the ABC program (ARCA, Busch (now Xfinity) and Cup Series), Ryan Newman rocketed up the ladder to the Cup Series under the tutelage of Team Penske executive Don Miller and former driver Buddy Baker.
By the 2002 season, Newman settled in as the new driver of the number 12 car at Penske and went on to not only capture his first in at New Hampshire, but also beat out future champion Jimmie Johnson for Rookie of the Year. The next year he silenced the critics, who panned him getting top rookie honors the year before, by winning 11 poles and eight races. The number of poles led to his nickname of Rocket Man.
As time went, he would continue to capture poles (nine in 2004 and eight in 2005), but the wins dried up. Helped by his teammate Kurt Busch, Newman would capture the Daytona 500 in 2008, but that season would be his last with Penske.
He would bolt to join his friend Tony Stewart at the newly formed Stewart-Haas Racing team for the 2009 season. While at SHR, Newman won four times (including the Brickyard 400 in 2013), but would be let go in favor of Kevin Harvick for the 2014 season.
In a bit of irony, Newman came up just short to Harvick in the 2014 championship battle, after Newman joined Harvick’s former team, Richard Childress Racing. It took until 2017 for Newman to get back into the playoffs, but he was bounced early in the going.
The 2018 season represents his fifth with Childress.
Teams Driven For
- Team Penske 2000-2008
- Stewart-Haas Racing 2009-2013
- Richard Childress Racing 2014-Present
- Career start 1 – 2000 race 32 Phoenix
- Career start 100 – 2004 race 20 Pocono
- Career start 200 – 2007 race 12 Charlotte
- Career start 300 – 2010 race 4 Las Vegas
- Career start 400 – 2012 race 32 Kansas
- Career start 500 – 2015 race 24 Bristol
- Career pole 1 – 2001 race 12 Charlotte
- Career pole 10 – 2003 race 12 Charlotte
- Career pole 20 – 2004 race 4 Atlanta
- Career pole 30 – 2005 race 7 Texas
- Career pole 40 – 2007 race 13 Dover
- Career pole 50 – 2013 race 20 Indianapolis
- Career win 1 – 2002 race 27 New Hampshire
- Career win 10 – 2004 race 15 Michigan
- 2002 All-Star Race Winner
- 2002 Rookie of the Year
- 2008 Daytona 500 Winner
- 2013 Brickyard 400 Winner
- 1999 USAC Silver Crown Series Champion
|Season||Team||Start||Pole||Win||Top-5||Top-10||DNF||Laps Comp||Lead Lap Fin||Laps Led||Races Led||DNQ||WD|
|2014||Richard Childress Racing||36||0||0||5||16||1||10479||31||41||7||0||0|
|2015||Richard Childress Racing||36||0||0||5||15||1||10374||27||20||5||0||0|
|2016||Richard Childress Racing||36||0||0||2||10||3||10215||24||24||8||0||0|
|2017||Richard Childress Racing||36||0||1||7||13||4||10075||23||46||9||0||0|
|2018||Richard Childress Racing||15||0||0||0||3||2||4429||6||40||2||0||0|